9-hole Golf Course
1245 E Hwy 90
Built by 19th century immigrants, the Painted Churches of Texas feature simple exteriors but incredibly beautiful interiors, where nearly every surface is covered with bright painting. There are more than twenty painted churches around Texas, ranging from simple to extremely elaborate. In 1984, fifteen of the churches were listed in the National Registrer of Historic Places.
The Painted Churches have been featured in numerous magazines, television programs and newspaper articles. A scenic tour of the churches in Fayette County are an easy day trip from Austin, Houston or San Antonio. The stone church was dedicated in 1895 with murals by Swiss-born painter Godfrey Flury. The artist was famous for painting opera house stages in New York, California, and San Antonio, but this is one of his surviving masterpieces. The ceiling is decorated with symbols, angels, gold scrolls, vines, and 66 different types of flowers and shrubs (but no bluebonnets). Behind the altar he painted Prague's main cathedral, St. Vitus, and an important Moravian convent. Remarkably, no part of the painting has ever needed to be retouched.
St. Mary's Church of the Assumption
Nativity of Mary, Blessed Virgin
St. John the Baptist Catholic Church
Sts. Cyril and Methodius Church
Wesley Bretheren Church
St. Mary's Catholic Church
St. Paul's Lutheran Church
SS. Cyril and Methodius
Flatonia is a well known and scenic spot for train watchers, boasting one of Texas' longest standing, manually operated railroad switching towers with North-South, East-West cross rails. The tower was still in use until 1997. Train watchers visit because of the quiet and safe environment and because it is one of only three covered platforms in the country. A true piece of Americana, the tower now resides on South Main and can be toured by appointment through the Chamber of Commerce. The Railpark Photo Pavilion is a covered, safe place to watch the trains and take photographs.
E.A. Arnim Archives and Museum
101 W. North Main (Hwy 95) and Penn Street
Open 3rd Sat. in April to the 1st Sat. in Dec. from 1p.m. to 4 p.m.
Flatonia's rich cultural history is depicted at the E.A. Arnim Archives and Museum. Housed in a former bank building, the museum features an extensive collection of antique furniture and household items used by the early settlers of Flatonia, along with clothing, china and glassware, and historical documents which represent the history of Flatonia and the surrounding towns and communities. Out back is a livery stable with wagons, buggies, vintage tack and farm implements.